Sunday, December 7, 2008

A tribute to my Grandfather Kenneth P. Hendrickson


67 years ago on this very date December 7, 1941, there was a bomb that hit Pearl Harbor that changed America, and many families who lived here at the time. My Grandfather Kenneth P. Hendrickson was one of the many men who were drafted at the age of 18 just after graduation from high school. He was drafted to the Air Force Engineers because of his experience working on farm machinery and welding. He helped repair the heavy equipment at the air bases. He was married to my grandmother 6 months before they graduated because they knew he would be leaving. Young and in love you could say, and Grandma got pregnant before Grandpa left over seas so their first son my Uncle Raymond was born while Grandpa was serving our country.. He did not see Raymond until he was 13 months old.... What an amazing story they have and what amazing people they are to me. Grandpa served our country faithfully and stayed true to his new bride the whole time. The part that always amazes me is that they wrote letters to each other everyday for 2 years 20 months and 2 days.

I want to pay tribute to my Grandpa and all others who gave of their time and freedom to sacrifice so that I can have the liberty I have today. He just turned 85 on December 4th and I want to honor him and let people know what a hero he and my grandma are to me. They have taught me values and given me a heritage that is so valuable.

Love you both, Nat

3 comments:

Niels and Kayla said...

i love this post! can i copy it? haha my email is kayla_hendrickson@live.com if you would like an invite, this is niels wife kayla! anyways i loved this post!

Sinilyn said...

What a sweet tribute. I hope you don't mind nat but i found your blog through mckenna...your family is beautiful! You look so happy! I hope things are going well for you! don't be a stranger girl!!!

Hendrickson said...

Nat. This is a nice tribute to Grandpa! He is indeed a wonderful example to all of us. Hope that you and your family are well.